Welcome to Eclectic Selections!

Welcome to Eclectic Selections... our newest fire prevention product, The Dryer Lint Brush, is taking households by storm. This simple yet effective tool for home safety removes the lint from dryer crevices and helps prevent dryer fires. This is a multi-purpose must have brush. See additional uses at the bottom.

 

DRYER FIRE SPARKS HOUSE FIRE IN HEBRON

 

 


 

 

BY TRACY HAYHURST Times Staff Writer 

HEBRON - Damage estimates are expected soon on a house fire that apparently started from an accumulation of lint in a dryer. 

  The laundry room of a house at 8951 E. 137th ave. in Hebron bagan sometime Friday after Michael Vargas and his wife left for work and after their two sons went to school, Michael Vargas said. 

  His 13-year-old-son opened the door about 3 p.m. Friday to find the house full of smoke. He grabbed the fire extinguisher in the kitchen and when he realized the fire was in the laundry room, kicked down the door and put out the flames, Vargas said Sunday from his mothers house in Portage, where the family is staying. 

  "My son couldn't see the damage and assumed it was a small fire," Vargas said. "He went upstairs, where it was filled with smoke, too, and called me. I told him to get out, and I went ahead and called the fire department." 

  The fire had spread throughout the walls of the 2,400 square foot house that sits about 500 feet from the road. Vargas said he arrived-after running out of gas on interstate 65 - to find Hebron firefighters covered in soot leaving his house. 

  "The laundry room was gutted, and there is soot throughout the house, from our toothbrushes to our underwear in the drawers," he said. "It's unlivable right now." 

  Hebron fire officials could not be reached for comment. 

  Vargas said firefighters told him that lint build-up in the drum behind the dryer caught fire. The blaze then worked its way through the dryer's blower and the walls of the house. 

  But the damage could have been worse, he said, noting that ammunition from his hunting guns was stored in the laundry room but did not explode, nor did nearby cans of paint. 

  "Coats on the other side of the room melted. The heat melted a metal door and the glass in it," Vargas said. "WE were lucky."